Monday, May 31, 2010

What a Year (or more)!

This past weekend was the 2010 Phoenix ComiCon, which concluded a pretty crazy year and a half for me.

At the start of 2009 was the 2009 Phoenix ComiCon at the end of January, where I helped set up the first ever Wil Wheaton Rock Band event there.  I was vice-chair of FiestaCon, the 62nd Westercon, which happened over July 4th Weekend and helped rebound Westercon after a low turnout one in Las Vegas in 2008.  I chaired the first North American Discworld Convention over Labor Day weekend in 2009, for which our main guest (and creator of Discworld), Terry Pratchett, declared it was the best Discworld Convention ever!  A couple of weeks ago I chaired LepreCon 36, which even though we had a dissapointing amount of attendees, those that did come had a great time.  This past weekend was the 2010 Phoenix ComicCon, which moved to the Phoenix convention center after having outgrown the Mesa Convention Center, and it was definitely bigger than any prior ones.  I oversaw the SciFi programming tracked, helped put together Wil Wheaton Rock Band again this year (which was an awesome event - yes, that is me in my Devo flower pot hat), and helped set up the Super Happy Fun Time panel with Wil Wheaton and John Scalzi which announced a special charity project they are organizing.   For the first time in quite a while, I do not have a major event in the near future I'm in charge of!  However, I am looking forward to LepreCon 37 the first weekend of May in 2011 for which we will be having the first ever Shadow Unit mini-con as part of the convention.  And, for Phoenix ComiCon 2011, I hope we can make more awesome things happen.  I also attended and was on programming for Gallifrey One in 2009 and 2010, LosCon 36, Anticipation (WorldCon 2009), and also attended ComiCon International and the first two Tucson Festival of Books.


Once I get caught back up on real life, I hope to get caught up with my online life as well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent blog! I'm really glad I found it and would be really glad to follow you! And every time when I see a post about or that includes something about Terry Pratchett, I couldn't refrain from posting my gratitude... His books saved my life! :)
About ten years ago, there was a period in my life when everything seemed hopeless and meaningless, it seemed my studying of English would be endless (I’m not a native Englishman or American, I’m Bulgarian and realized very soon English was a very difficult language, with so many meanings of a single word, there were so many expressions I had to learn, etc.). After that, it seemed almost impossible to find a publisher for my translated in English book, or even a literary agent who would find a publisher... Then I was so depressed because all these happened so slow, that I wanted to suicide myself...
Fortunately, the reading of some of Terry Pratchett’s excellent books changed my mind and way of thinking once and for all. They made me realize to cope well with any situation in life one has to find the funny side even of the worst events and mishaps. But what was even more incredible was something else. Terry Pratchett’s books’ most amazing quality was that they could make anyone think about serious and important things like wars, good and evil, the real difference between perfection and imperfection, human stupidity and its many forms, the good and bad sides of humans’ faith, etc... Best wishes to this amazing man, many happy returns of the day! LET THE WONDERFUL NOISE OF THE SEA ALWAYS SOUNDS IN YOUR EARS! (a greeting of the water dragons' hunters - my Tale Of The Rock Pieces).
I guess you'll like a suggeston of mine? Using sites like zazzle.com, caffepress.com, fiverr, etc? They could be a good way for promotion and "removing" stupidity in streets like headlines on t-shirts, fridge magnets, cups, etc. of the kind My Boyfriend kisses better than yours, FBI - Female Body Inspector, etc... Every author could use some good, wise quotes from his/her works, some poems, illustrations, etc. I'm allanbard there, I use some of my quotes, illustrations, poems, like: One can fight money only with money, Even in the hottest fire there's a bit of water, All the problems in the world lead to one - narrow-minded people, Money are amongst the last things that make people rich, or
Love and happiness will be around,
as all the chains will disappear!
And Mountaineers will climb their mount,
and there won't be any tear!
Hope such lines sound and look much better than the usual we see every day?

Anonymous said...

Tory Burch Boots So long as through observes the spot which the shoe sole wears, may know that body's center of gravity fell in where. Will hold down the full tendon, the calf and the anklebone place will feel that the ache will make an effort slightly with the thumb when will hold back the full tendon, the calf and the anklebone place, if hurts to calls to make noise, then the showing question was already serious Tory Burch Flip Flops.
Becomes when the right angle stands jeu76ch, the knee inward shrinks stands in the room corner, the buttocks sticks to the corner wall surface, the leg separates. Let the Tory Burch Flats and about two walls parallel, assumes 90o to stand separately. When the back launches, the waist relaxes when sinks, the knee to the inside shrinks, then explained that full bow muscle's support ability is weak. However the stars each time can leave the mirror by the different modelling, but their shoes shoe and so on matches plays the part of actually throughout insists "the usability" the principle, therefore we will see some pair of shoes will become on the star foot "the patron Tory Burch Sandals".

THE ONE said...

http://free-manga-anime-downloads.blogspot.in/

very well written man.